Friday, November 16, 2018

Bring on the Vintage Baskets!

I'm a huge antique and vintage basket fan and collector. To prove it, here are several pictures of my kitchen ceiling, where we hang some of our finds (along with pots and pans):




My husband and I started collecting baskets in the 1970s, when the whole country-style movement was just beginning and we could find antique oak splint baskets for, well, a whole lot cheaper than they are today. We lived then in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia and the picking was pretty great.

A lot of the baskets we collected then are either hanging from the kitchen ceiling or scattered around the house, in use, to store towels, books and magazines, plants, or blankets, such as this large antique gathering basket:
An antique rye basket holds a collection of blue and white ceramic balls:
We also collect vintage picnic baskets, which are terrific storage containers. And the extra ones we store under a long table in the living room:
In the summer a variety of baskets go out into the garden to bring in fresh veggies and flowers, or pick blueberries, like many of those that we've got hanging, above, from the kitchen ceiling.

Of course, as an Etsy seller, I sometimes part with some of our vintage basket finds, like these (find them here and here and here):


Wire or metal baskets, like these two in the shop, are also terrific (find them here and here--and check out how great they look filled with fruit or books):

 And vintage ceramic baskets, like this hand painted one made in Portugal:
This silver plated vintage Bride's Basket is another beauty:
I love baskets so much I started a Pinterest page for the ones I find online here.

And I have another Pinterest board just for Wall Basket Decor here.

All the baskets currently in my shop can be found here.

There's a tour of my house, showing all of the baskets on my ceiling and elsewhere (although probably looking a little bit different because I might have sold some or purchased others)--this can be found in the "About" section of my shop--if you scroll over to the fourth picture, you'll see the video.

The great thing about shopping for and collecting baskets is that they can still be found in garage or church sales or auctions and estate sales. Or from Etsy shops ~ just put "vintage baskets" in the search bar and check out a few thousand!

No comments:

Post a Comment